Thangka Drawing & Painting Retreat in Italy
June 10-19, 2022
Subject: The Three Great Bodhisattvas
In this wonderful 10-day thangka drawing & painting course in Italy you will learn to draw and color or paint a Buddha according to the Tibetan Buddhist thangka tradition.
The course is suitable for everyone, from beginners (even without any drawing experience!) to advanced:
New Thangka Students:
-Will first learn the basics and draw the Face of the Buddha. After that you can also choose to draw The Buddha (Buddha Shakyamuni), or the Medicine Buddha (which is a much more logical order and easier than one of the Three Bodhisattvas).
Note that it may be easier to stick to coloured pencil techniques for a while before moving on to painting as the thangka painting techniques take a long time to master, and painting a thangka can easily take a year or more. During the retreat you may want to draw your Buddhas and paint a few small symbols to see if the painting is something for you.
Thangka Students who have joined Carmen’s courses before:
– Can choose either Avalokiteshvara (Buddha of Infinite Compassion), Manjushri (Buddha of Infinite Wisdom) or Vajrapani (Buddha of Infinite Power, more suitable for advanced students)
– May also choose to finish their current artwork during this course (and will of course receive a new grid as well)
During the retreat, Carmen offers a lot of individual guidance, each at their own level.
Carmen will be in touch with each of you before the retreat to note your preferred subject so she can prepare this for you. You will also receive a list with art materials to bring.
The teachings will be offered in clear English. If you don’t understand English, the used texts (meditation/lectures etc.) can be translated in Italian or any other language for you so you can read along, if you Contact Carmen well ahead.
The Three Bodhisattvas
Avalokiteshvara, Manjushri and Vajrapani form together the ‘Three Great Bodhisattvas,’ that represent the three most important qualities -Compassion, Wisdom, and Power- that you need to develop if you want to make progress on the spiritual path.
This retreat offers you a complete experience: besides the art sessions you will start each morning with a (guided) meditation and will learn all about these three deities and their iconography/symbolism through lectures in the evening. There will also be a movie night.
- In this 10-day thangka retreat you can really go in-depth
- Including all nights and delicious (vegetarian) Italian meals, with organic vegetables from own compound, freshly prepared every day with love
- Meet students from different countries and make new friends
- The course is set in Kushi Ling, the most beautiful Buddhist Centre in Italy, amidst the mountains and olive trees
- You sleep in a 2 or 3 persons room (single room cannot be guaranteed, only possible if there are rooms left), or you can bring your own tent and camp anywhere on the premises
- You will also have time to fully enjoy the beautiful surroundings and make a walk, visit the nearby village to have a drink or taste the best ice cream, or go to the medieval castle on top of the hill
- Halfway during the retreat there will be an afternoon off that you could use to visit Lake Garda
- You can fly to Verona or Milan
- You can travel together with Carmen from Verona, Peschiera or Riva del Garda on the first day
- Great possibility to combine this retreat with vacation in Italy (e.g. to Lake Garda and Verona that are nearby)
Any questions that are not answered on this page? Contact Carmen
In the morning on the first day of the retreat, Carmen and some other students will travel together to Kushi Ling, most probably by taking a bus from Verona to Peschiera (bottom of the lake) where they take the beautiful boat trip (around 9.45 AM) to Riva del Garda (top of the lake), have lunch together, and share a 20min. taxi ride to Kushi Ling.
Around a week before the course Carmen will be in touch with you with the latest details, and ou can let her know if you want to travel together.
More Info & Registration