A special 10 day Thangka Painting Retreat
Annual drawing and painting retreat in Northern Italy, close to beautiful Verona and the Garda Lake
In this long painting course, you will learn how to draw or paint Buddhas according to the tradition of the Tibetan Buddhist Thangka (scroll paintings).
An international group of people comes together for this special thangka painting retreat, where you really can go in-depth. the course includes starting with a meditation in the morning and lectures & slides about the iconography and symbolism in Tibetan Buddhism. You will also have time to fully enjoy the beautiful surroundings of this place and their delicious Italian cuisine (vegetarian). The vegetables are produced organically on the compound.
Halfway during the retreat there will be an afternoon off so you can taste the best ice cream in the nearest village of Arco, visit the Garda lake, hike in the mountains or have a great walk to ‘Castello’, the medieval castle on top of the hill overlooking Arco.
Subject will be announced later this year
In this long thangka course you will learn to draw and/or paint a Buddha according to the Tibetan thangka tradition.
This retreat is suitable for beginners, half-experienced and experienced students:
• First time thangka students will learn how to draw a Buddha face (always the basis), before moving on to drawing (and coloring) a complete Buddha.
• Beginners and half-experienced will learn to draw the particular Buddha, as well as color or paint after that. After the drawing you can choose to color your Buddha and learn the color pencil techniques (advisable for total beginners and people who want to return home with a finished artwork), or make a start to paint her with the thangka painting techniques.
• Experienced thangka students may want to prepare a traditional canvas (contact Carmen beforehand for instructions) after which you can transfer your drawing onto the canvas and start painting the Buddha.
• This retreat can also be used to continue/finish other thangka artwork that you’ve been working on.
Of course you will receive the grids of the subject of this retreat, to draw/paint it in the future.
Besides the drawing/painting sessions in this course you will learn through lectures & slideshows all about the particular Buddha and symbolism, her mantra and meaning, as well as practicing her meditations.
You don’t need any drawing or painting experience.
Carmen offers a lot of individual guidance, at your own level.
English and Italian
The teachings are given in English, and when needed can be translated in Italian by one of the advanced Italian students.
Advantages of a long thangka retreat:
- In this 10-day painting course you can really go in-depth
- Including all nights and delicious Italian meals, with organic vegetables from own compound, freshly prepared every day with love
- Meet students from different countries and make new friends
- The course is set in Kushi Ling, the most beautiful Buddhist Centre of Italy, amidst the mountains and olive trees
- You can fly cheaply to Verona or Milan
- Great possibility to combine this retreat with vacation in Italy (e.g. to Lake Garda and Verona that are nearby)
Want to travel together with other participants?
In the morning on the first day of the retreat, Carmen and some other students will travel together to Kushi Ling by taking the beautiful boat trip (around 9.45 AM) from Peschiera (not far from Verona) to Riva del Garda, where we will have lunch together and share a 20min. taxi ride to Kushi Ling.
If you want to join in Verona / Peschiera / Riva del Garda please contact Carmen about it.
More Info & Registration
See you in Italy!